16 December 2017
05 December 2017
Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC) provides special compensation to military retirees who have retired pay reduced because of receiving U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) disability compensation. This means that qualified military retirees with 20 or more years of service that have "combat related" VA-rated disability will no longer have their military retirement pay reduced by the amount of their VA disability compensation. Instead they will receive both their full military retirement pay and their VA disability compensation. The following is a summary of Combat-Related Special Compensation:
- Combat-Related Special Compensation Eligibility
- The Value of the CRSC Benefit
- The Application Process
Once a military retiree has been determined to be qualified he/she will receive their regular retirement pay plus an additional sum based on their VA disability rating.
The following CRSC eligibility requirements apply:
In order for members to be eligible for CRSC, they must meet all of the following criteria:
- Receive military retirement pay for one of the following reasons:
- Served on Active Duty, the Reserves, or National Guard with 20 years of creditable service;
- Served on Active Duty, the Reserves, or National Guard and is also a permanent medical retiree (Chapter 61) regardless of years served;
- Served on Active Duty, the Reserves, or National Guard and is classified as a Temporary Disability Retirement List retiree regardless of years served; or
- Served on Active Duty, the Reserves, or National Guard and is classified as a Temporary Early Retirement Act retiree with 15-19 years served.
- Have 10% or greater VA rated injury that is combat-related.
- Military retirement pay is reduced by VA disability payments (VA Waiver).
- Must be able to provide documentation that injury was a result of one of the following:
- Purple Heart
- Armed Conflict
- Simulating War
- Hazardous Service
- Instrumentality of War
- Agent Orange
- Radiation Exposure
- Gulf War
- Mustard Gas or Lewisite