18 September 2012

Eglin AFB Veteran Wins Domestic Agent Orange VA Claim!

Just received from an AF veteran who served at Eglin AFB, Florida. Eglin was the principal field test facility for Agent Orange, and this veteran finally won VA recognition for his Agent Orange exposure. Eglin AFB still has 400 acres of dioxin-laden, fenced-off area due to this severe contamination. Congratulations...and note his emphasis on being persistent! Get your claim in, even if only via a general letter, and get your Agent Orange exam scheduled by contacting the Agent Orange Hotline - call 800-749-8387.

Just got the award letter today, saying that I got 20% for Diabetes II, 20% for radial nerve damage from removal of tumor left arm and 20% for the painful swelling and edema left arm. It only took 9 years, but Brothers and Sisters, you got to be vigilant and persistent in your fight to get the rights you deserve and were promised.I've a few other symptoms that are secondary, but now that they're recognized we can go on from there, as they're still in the exploratory stage right now.I wish to thank those on this site in helping me get the recognition, by providing advice, documents and direction. 
Dan CallaghanRecognized Victim - Eglin AFB AO Exposure 
click: CDC - Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry Eglin AFB Contamination Study 

1 comment:

  1. I'm a retired Army Master Sergeant (E-8) with one hitch in the USAF from 1970 to 1974. Presently, I reside in Western Washington just outside of JBLM and I am 68 years old. I trained to work on C123 aircraft at England AFB, LA in 1972 and was then assigned to the 168th OMS at Osan AFB, Korea. While station there I serviced and maintained C123 aircraft including two of which were deployed from Vietnam. In 1975 I joined the Army as a helicopter mechanic and served until 1993. I filed a claim with the VA for DJD and was rated at 30% and by 1995 I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I am not overweight and have no history of diabetes in my family. My DJD became progressively worse and I was eventually rated at 70%. In the back of my mind I always believed that my diabetes was due to chemical exposure while serving in the military, but had no way to prove it. However, stories begin to surface about secondary exposure to Agent Orange thanks to Major Wes Carter and the media, and by 2015: “The VA decided to acknowledge exposure to Agent Orange for personnel whose military service involved regular contact with the contaminated C-123 aircraft, Based on an HMD report”. I then filed a claim with the VA and my rating went from 70% to 100%. Although, I would rather have my health the compensation and benefits have made my life much better, and I now feel somewhat redeemed on a psychological level. Again thanks Wes!!!

    ReplyDelete

Got something to share? Nothing commercial or off-topic, please.